The following is a list of the art assignments each student was given, in Mrs. Sparhawk’s class. For today’s journal, click on the link that applies to the setting you drew for Hobbit Topic #24. So, for example, if you drew “Bombur asleep beside the Enchanted River”, then you will click on the link “the Enchanted River” which is highlighted for you.
The link will take you to a wikipedia page, which will include information about the setting you drew. Initially, it’s the same assignment you did yesterday, but this time you’re focusing on setting instead of characters. See the bottom of this journal page for further instructions.
2. Anjelica: Draw Gollum paddling his boat away from his underground home.
3. Matt: Draw the trolls, Tom and Bert, sitting around their fire, after Thorin and Company have left Hobbiton.
4. Rick: Draw Smaug attacking Esgaroth.
5. Megahn: Draw Bilbo Baggins at the top of an enormous oak tree, in the middle of Mirkwood.
6. Kahlan: Draw an intelligent spider wrapping dwarves in cocoons.
7. Christina: Draw Thorin Oakenshield standing before the secret entrance to the caves below Lonely Mountain.
8. Tori: Draw Gandolf fighting off the Wargs with magic, flaming pine cones in the Misty Mountains.
9. Derek: Draw Fili and Kili emerging from empty wine barrels, along the shores near the Lake-town of Esgaroth, after their long voyage down the Forest River.
10. Cooper: Draw Bard the Bowman protecting the Lake-town at the Long Lake.
11. Haley: Draw Elrond in the Valley of Rivendell.
12. Shariah: Draw the Lord of the Eagles speaking to Gandalf on the Great Shelf, with the Green River plains of Middle Earth in the distance.
13. Kevin: Draw the Great Goblin convicting Thorin and Company, from his stronghold in the goblin mines.
14. J.C.: Draw the thrush who visited Thorin and Company outside Lonely Mountain, near the City of Dale.
15. Student #15 has moved.
16. Amy: Draw a pony at the entrance to Mirkwood Forest.
17. Morgan: Draw a wood-elf in the Elvenking’s underground court.
18. Kalem: Draw Bombur asleep beside the Enchanted River.
19. Addee: Draw the Master of the Lake-town, Esgaroth.
20. A.J.: Draw Dwalin and Balin at Bilbo’s tea party, in Bilbo’s hobbit-hole.
21. Autumn: Draw Bilbo wearing mithril, with the dragon horde behind him, standing within the abandoned Kingdom Under the Mountain.
22. Misti: Draw a gobin soldier, guarding the exit from the goblin caves.
23. Gage: Draw Beorn in his longhouse, with his animals around him.
Your assignment for Hobbit Topic #26 is to become an expert on the setting you’ve been assigned. Know everything there is to know about that setting. In the front of your spiral journal, jot down the following to help you:
- at least five important facts about the setting you were assigned, based upon the link to that setting in wikipedia
- any details that might be helpful in determining whether or not the drawing you created for Hobbit Topic #24 was accurate
- information needed to correctly cite wikipedia in a report
For your journal entry today, do the following in the response you submit here:
- list the five facts you learned about your setting
- if you made any blaring mistakes in your drawing, describe them
- cite wikipedia correctly, telling exactly where you got this information, and including the URL (which you can paste into your submission reply box, by opening another tab and going back to your wikipedia page)