Have you read 60 pages of a classic novel already? Write a question about the protagonist in your novel. Try this:
- Tell the title of the classic novel you’re reading and mention the author.
- Come up with an interesting, open-ended question to ask about the protagonist in your novel.
- Answer your own question.
Here’s an example from Treasure Island:
- My novel is Treasure Island, by Robert Louis Stevenson.
- My question is: Now that Jim’s dad has died, Jim (the protagonist) became the proprietor of the Admiral Benbow Inn. If you were Jim’s age and you suddenly found yourself in charge of your family’s business, how would you act?
- My answer to my own question is: I would think it’s really important to balance the books. I’d make sure another person–like my mom or an uncle or a trusted family friend–checked my math on all bookkeeping papers. I would try to keep a level head and use my inn to earn money for me and my family.